Hail Damage can cause major damage to homes, car, and even bodies. And after the last few days here in North Texas I think we have seen enough hail and hail damage to last a lifetime. The only person who can possible enjoy the sound of ice chunks banging off your car and home are roofers and car repairmen. For the rest of us that sound means the possibility of major damage to our most valuable possesions. Unfortunately there is not much you can do to avoid hail damage. There are however some helpful tips you can follow if you do get hit by hail and suffer damages. These tips can help make sure you stay safe and get the repairs done in the fastest and best possible manner. Check them out below.
1. Put your personal safety first. Windows may be broken and glass may be shattered. Take caution to avoid these areas until you are positive the storm has passed and it is safe.
2. Stay cautious for any live wires that may have snapped. Wear proper shoes and gloces when inspecting the damage. DO NOT touch any loose wires!!!!
3. If you have insurance you will need to call and make a claim as soon as possible. Be prepared to give a general description of the property and damages as a representative will walk you through your claim.
4. Try to make any temporary repairs that are possible. If you have holes in the roof or broken windows try to temporarily repair them by using plywood and other materials. if you do not feel you can attempt repairs safely then DO NOT do them.
5. Check your insurance policy. Your insurance policy typically covers the cost to repair common hail damage-including damage to roofs, walls and cars, and your inventory or belongings. However, your deductible does apply-and you may have a higher deductible for wind/hail damage on your policy. Check your policy to see what’s covered and the deductible you’ve chosen. Reviewing your policy will help you prepare questions for your claims professional.
6. Document the damage. If it is safe and possible try and take pictures of the damage to your property as soon as possible. Do Not throw away any repairs quotes or bills as they may become important when making your insurance claim down the road.
7. Choose contractors wisely. Ask friends, family, and business associates for referrals of good contractors. Your choice in contractors can greatly affect the outcome of the repairs.
If your home is in need of repairs and you would like a list of qualified and honest repairmen please email BWebb@KW.com or call 469-951-2299.